Coachella

Friday, September 30, 2011

Board Games

Board game nights. That was the phrase I would always hear every Friday and possibly Saturday when I was in California all summer.


What kind of board games? The kind where if you were playing in public people would think you are the weird nerdy kid that no one is friends with. Well the truth is... they are fun as hell and if I had no friends, why are there so many people with me?


At least that's how I felt playing in California.


Upon moving back to Houston, I figured I'd test it out and try to get my friends here to play. It was a plan that my other friend from Houston decided to start up with me. We had a plan to invite good friends and girlfriends and just have a grand ole time.


How many times have we had a good board game night? Hm. One? Yeah. One.


I've bought 6 board games when I get back home and my friend bought 2. I figured if I kept buying new ones, people would be interested in coming and trying it out.


I understand people are busy with their lives. And I understand people got stuff to do that comes up last minute. But I made it a point to let everyone know it's going to be every Friday night. I appreciate the people that actually made a whole heart effort to make it out when they can. But I have real good friends, best friends even, that have only came once or twice. I mean... what gives? You told me that you wanted to do this and then never show up?


This is just like when we had poker games. Everyone asked me to throw games and host them. After a constant stream of asking and requesting, I decided to start doing it. After a week or two, less and less people show up. Sooner or later, it takes all my effort to just get a game of 6 people going. And then when I stop and text messages don't go out weekly, people start messaging me and asking me why I don't do games anymore? So I pull one together last minute and that person still doesn't show up.


I guess it is my own fault that I want this to work so well. All my friends, including myself, are young and want to go out and do other things. The interests are just different. Just thought I'd get a little bit more support from the ones that wanted to play in the first place.


Now I'm stuck at home with board games stocked in my room and no one to play with. If I'm lucky, I'll get four people together tonight.


Oh well. Friends will be friends right?

No comments:

Post a Comment